No narrative, no agenda, just facts!

Racist Fact #5: Only 1.6 percent of whites owned slaves

Did you know?

  • When free, blacks disproportionately became slave masters in America. One study concluded that 28 percent of free blacks owned slaves, which is a far higher percentage than that of free whites who owned slaves.
  • Only 4 percent (388,000) of slaves from Africa went to North America. The other 96 percent (10.3 million) went to South America.
  • At the peak of slavery in the South, around 6 percent of Southern whites owned slaves.